Google
 

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

USA! USA! USA!

Sorry for the delay in an update, been to town to get me a visa today! After a mere 5 hours waiting I was seen by a yank official for all of two minuites and signed off as approved. I think it was the Clyde Marine badge on my unifrom that sorted it, as he seemed little interested in me or what I plan to do in his country. Still a free trip to the big stink and a few hours on American soil was better than yesterdays activities. This week we have started EDH (Efficient Deck Hand). I would not describe the teaching as efficient, but it is certainly effective. We learnt how to splice(correct spelling??) a rope and how to use and rig a bosuns chair. I really enjoyed the rope-work but found the rest a little tedious. My knot tying (or forming to be correct) was a little rusty at first, and there is one I still can't get my head(and fingers) around. Our instructor is a retired Captain and ties(sorry forms) knots as quickly as US Embassy staff interview applicants. -Thats very quickly by the way (although preceeded by a very long wait.)

I am heartened to read the comments left on here, thank you.

Came third in the bar quiz tonight! - a record!

Rob

14 Comments:

At 8:32 am, Blogger Rob said...

Sorry yes, not a reference to the location of your Embassy, but more for the whole of London. More accurately it refers to the River Thames, which used to be pumped full of raw sewege and therefore presumably stank!

"Big Expensive" - true!

 
At 12:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see they have not neglected to introduce you to some of those old skills which are so important today, and will indeed be - for ever.

Shipmaster (Retired)

 
At 12:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Embassy encounter:-

You are on their database now.
So if you go to the US to learn to fly an aeroplane but not to land it - they will eventually come up with who you were.

Just "unbelievable"

Take care
Eye Spy.

 
At 5:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i doubt the clyde marine badge would provoke anything but pity.

lol

 
At 7:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there little white fella !!!
Good blog this one.
Me aboriginal.
You obviously real nice guy.

Luv: Dorothy

 
At 11:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those knots:-
Carefull how you tie them.
Right time and right place - if you know what I mean.
Who Luvs ya babe !!!

 
At 11:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rob
I just can't wait for your next update.
It's Good.
Carefull with the spelling tho'.

admirer.

 
At 11:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeh - I agree with admirer.
Plain Talk, the whole truth, and no bullshit here, - what more could anyone want.
Clever lad too - me thinks.

Shipmaster Retired + Fan

 
At 11:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog resonates with both honesty and integrity.
The most desireable attributes of all.

"Director"

 
At 11:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider this also,
"A few more like this, and the world would be a far better place".

"Chairman"

 
At 12:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooh
I want you, I want you, I want you so much.

shareholder -
sustainable futures.

 
At 2:29 am, Blogger Rob said...

gawd blimey! Steady on there!

 
At 6:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you checking your archives ?

 
At 9:09 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point by someone.

It's not only what's ahead of you its what's coming behind you that counts.

Koala

 

Post a Comment

<< Home