Google
 

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Started, Here, Present, Now where do we muster?

Sunday 10th September

Well I have arrived at Warsash Maritime Academy, got here at around 2:15 and joined the huge queue to get my room key. I was told I am one of the lucky ones to be allocated a single room, its certainly nicer than I was expecting! I have a view over the river Hamble and Southampton water - and of course the lovely Fawley power station! The room is quite large and has a desk, a chest of drawers, a big wardrobe, a bed, two chairs, a bookshelf on the wall and a sink with mirror in the corner. Oh and its called a “cabin” - gotta get that right! Most of the other first year cadets are sharing accommodation in rooms with bunk beds in the other block (shackleton), I am in Blyth Block. So far I have been in the Bar which is quite large with a pool table, darts board, outside seating area and great views over the water. The beer is £2:20 a pint. I am yet to see any sign of Clyde Marine (my sponsoring company) or any of their other cadets, but we have a meeting with a company representative tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I should hear then exactly which company I will be doing my sea time with.

Monday 11th September

Up at 6 and early into the shower, which is very necessary as there are only a couple on my corridor. Then down to breakfast at half seven, with my 5 day meal card I can have a cooked breakfast, toast and a drink. Everyone was in their uniforms this morning, a real mix match of styles and colours etc, some of the lucky ones have branded stuff paid for by their companies. We had one of those PowerPoint presentations this morning by the head of the professional studies department, seems like a nice chap, unfortunately he just read out the words as they appeared on the screen which is really annoying not to mention quite offensive as I think we can all read! We then were lead to another room where we met our course tutor, also a perfectly pleasant lady, although she then proceeded to tell us everything we had already heard in the presentation this morning. We have been given our timetable for the next six weeks, It mostly consists of what is known as UPK (under pinning knowledge). This takes up the first three weeks. Then week 4 is an examination week. Week 5 is EDH (efficient deck hand) where we learn how to tie knots and other basic seamanship. Then finally weeks 6 is taken up by all the short courses which together make Basic safety training, these include Basic fire fighting, and how to use life rafts etc. After this we had a tour of the campus, which we have already seen having been here two days. It is quite small but has all sorts of departments, we were given a tour of the engineering department which has a huge building with all sorts of machinery and engine room simulators. We also saw the fire fighting school and the water sports centre.
This afternoon We had a meeting with the Clyde Marine training manager, he seems to be very friendly and helpful so I think we should get along ok with him for the next three years. He gave us all an envelope with a letter inside telling us which company would be sponsoring us through our cadetships. I have been assigned Chevron which I am really pleased about as they are a huge company and have nice modern ships and English (or American) speaking crews. Chevron by the way are a huge oil company who own others such as Caltex and Texaco so I will be sailing on tankers. Not sure where I will be a sailing yet, but chevron have interests in the USA and Canada, Norway, Denmark, UK, North sea, Canaries, and most places actually. See www.chevron.com .

3 Comments:

At 8:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got a company your happy with!

When are you doing your STCW short courses?

 
At 12:37 pm, Blogger Rob said...

week six i think, first 3 are lessons, then tests, then seamanship, then stcw.

U?

 
At 10:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, my group do EDH (as Guy calls it 'bondage') in week 2 :) and we do the STCW short courses in week 3. Then we start getting taught stuff in week 4 (although for some reason the college call it week 10)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home